Planning to Stay: Aging In Place
Senior citizens are a growing demographic in our city and an invaluable part of our community. HOCN firmly believes that our seniors deserve to continue to live in their homes, to age in place. The Planning to Stay program is committed to empowering senior citizens to maintain independence, remain civically engaged, and gracefully age in the comfort of their own homes.
As a community development corporation, HOCN knows that many of these homeowners are faced with the difficulties associated with the rising costs of home repairs. Planning to Stay is designed to respond to this situation, equipping deserving elderly residents with grants for home repairs and necessary energy efficiency improvements.
What the Program Will Fund?
As a part of the Planning to Stay initiative, HOCN will provide local elderly, frail, and disabled residents with grants to repair any of the following:
- Windows & Doors
- Stabilize the home structurally
- Correct any safety or code violations
- Replacements for deficient plumbing and electrical systems.
Am I Eligibly To Apply?
To apply for this program, please contact Heart of the City Neighborhoods. HOCN staff will provide you with an application.
In order to apply, an applicant must…
- Be over the age of 62; OR over the age 55 and require assistance with one or more activities of daily living; OR physically disabled
- Be located in the 14201 or 14202 zip code;
- Occupy the property as the principle resident and homeowner;
- Complete an approved homeowner’s education course;
- Complete Planning to Stay program application and provide all required income verification and homeowners documentation, including but not limited to your homeowner’s insurance, deed, proof of income, tax returns, and bank statements;
- Be able to make your home available for several inspections, assessments, and construction; and
- Agree to a 10 year lien on the property.
Household Size / Income (80% of AMI)*
- 1 / $35,600
- 2 / $40,650
- 3 / $45,700
- 4 / $50,800
- 5 / $54,900
- 6 / $58,950
*These income guidelines are based on 2013 numbers and are subject to change
How Can I Apply?
HOCN has an ongoing waiting list for our minor home repair programs. If you are interested in becoming a part of one of our programs, please contact our Program Director at 716-882-7661 ext. 203